New Zealand has enjoyed a rail renaissance in recent years with large investments being made into new rolling stock, upgraded track and better onboard services. This has helped elevate it to a rail travel Mecca with vibrant heritage train and vintage transport operations all over this great country. On this all-encompassing adventure you are treated to some of the best rail, road and water journeys to be had anywhere in the world. And you can be assured that the destinations at the end of the line are as superb as the fun we’ll have getting there.
A significant highlight on this classic adventure is a day at the historic Ferrymead Heritage Park just south of Christchurch on the glorious South Island.
It was here in 1863 that a short section of broadgauge track was opened to the public and the story of one of the world’s most interesting railway systems began.
Tour Leader: Allan Boyer
Single Supplement: $1,695
ARHS Discount: $300
Date: 17 Oct 2020 – 30 Oct 2020
At a Glance:
- Experience all of New Zealand’s main railways and many of its unique heritage trains
- Soak up the scenery of both NZ’s North and South Islands by train, coach and ferry
- Explore Auckland and visit the Museum of Transport and Technology and ride the Glenbrook Vintage Railway
- Journey through the centre of the North Island on the Northern Explorer, passing the Volcanic Plateau and ascending the world-famous Raurimu Spiral
- Cross Cook Strait and sail through the Marlborough Sounds by Interislander Ferry
- Cross the South Island on the spectacular TranzAlpine Express
- Visit the Plains Railway, home of the operating Rogers K 88 steam loco built in 1877
- Ride the world’s only Model T rail motor at Pleasant Point Railway
- Visit the historic white stone town of Oamaru and its steam railway
- Visit the only castle in New Zealand with stunning views of Otago Harbour
- Ride the Taieri Gorge Railway and continue through the mountains to Queenstown
- Cruise on Lake Wakatipu on the classic century-old steamship, SS Earnslaw
- Enjoy great meals, fine accommodation and many wonderful side-trips and sites
- Experience the culture and heritage of New Zealand. See amazing scenery from sea-scapes to rugged mountains, flora and fauna, meet friendly locals and enjoy amazing food and wine.