Portugal’s key location on the Western edge of Europe has enriched its character with layers of history and culture fitting with our Railway Adventures slogan as a “rail and culture” destination.
A combination of modern and historic trains and fascinating towns and scenery, make this a most popular tour and whether you are in search of culture and antiquity, with fine architecture and interesting places to visit, or you enjoy travelling on scenic railways that climb impossible mountains you will be enthralled. You may even want to potter around at your leisure – there is something for everyone on this revealing adventure.
Tour Leader: David Gourlay
Single Supplement: $980
ARHS Discount: $250
Date: 2 Jul 2021 – 16 Jul 2021
- Visit the renowned UNESCO World Heritage Archaeological Park and Museum at Vila Nova de Foz Côa
- Explore the vineyards at Quinta da Alvelada and the wine cellar Quinta das Murcas
- Travel on multiple heritage railways including the ‘Vouga narrow gauge rail line’ and the ‘Beira-Alta’ railway line
- Get thrilled by the spectacular scenery whilst sailing down the River Douro to Porto
- Lengthy stays 6 and 7 Nights at the same hotel in both Peso da Régua & Coimbra to explore the cities historical and cultural wonders and surrounds.
- Enjoy many alternative activities for non-rail fans along the way, including sightseeing, shopping and visits to gardens
- Stay in quality hotels, relish extraordinary culinary delights and travel all the way with your expert tour leader