Welcome aboard this character-filled tour, a rare opportunity to explore Far North Queensland’s Savannah country by coach, boat, plane and train featuring Australia’s most eccentric and iconic outback railways. You will fly from Cairns to the Gulf of Carpentaria where your journey continues by train across the wide Savannah on the Gulflander and the The Savannahlander where your journey reveals the rugged outback, over the high tablelands and on down through the rainforest to the coast. Enjoy time in Normanton and Karumba on the Gulf, the stunning Cobbold Gorge, the intriguing Undara Lava Tubes, and finally the holiday hub of Cairns. Your tour is topped off by a day trip to the Port Douglas markets, a journey on the Bally Hooley Steam Railway, and visits to Mossman Gorge and the Atherton Tableland. All along the way you’ll enjoy culinary delights, meet wonderful outback characters and be bowled over by the variety of entertaining experiences on this one-of-a-kind outback adventure.
Tour Leader: Chris Harding
Single Supplement: $685
ARHS Discount: $250
Date: 30 May 2021 – 8 Jun 2021
Extra Dates: 15 – 24 Aug 2021, 3 – 12 Oct 2021
At a Glance:
- Three vastly different, character-filled, heritage train journeys
- Private coach excursions to Port Douglas, Atherton and Croydon
- Scenic flight over Far North Queensland to the Gulf Country
- Boat trip to a private sand island in the Gulf for a sunset soiree
- Fascinating guided Cobbold Gorge and Undara Lava Tube experiences
- Two days’ gentle travel on the iconic outback Savannahlander train
- 2 nights at the wonderful Cobbold Gorge resort with excursions
- Characters, scenery and iconic journeys from the desert to the tablelands and rainforest.