Pictorial History Holroyd

$25.00

2 in stock

SKU: 1630800 Category:

Description

Only 40 square kilometres in size and located 25 kilometres west of the Sydney Central Business District, Holroyd is bordered by the councils of Parramatta to the north and east, Blacktown to the west and Fairfield to the south.

Holroyd celebrated 140 years of local government in 2012. The history of the area dates back to the earliest days of European settlement in 1788, and even further back to the Darug people, who occupied this part of the world for tens of thousands of years.

With a population of about 500 people, Holroyd was originally known as the Municipality of Prospect and Sherwood, proclaimed on 9 July 1872. The council was renamed in January 1927, in honour of its first mayor, Arthur Todd Holroyd. Since the 1950s a number of migrant groups have successfully settled in the area. People from various countries from Europe, Africa, Asia, the Middle East and New Zealand have made their home in Holroyd.

Holroyd covers the suburbs of Girraween, Greystanes, Guildford, Mays Hill, Merrylands, Pemulwuy, Pendle Hill, Prospect, Smithfield, Toongabbie, Wentworthville, Westmead, Woodpark, Yennora.

Jane Elias and Stephen Coppins. 140 pages, b & w.

Additional information

Weight 0.6 kg

You may also like…